Powder Springs home invasion suspect to stand trial

Doorway to magistrate court, the court which conducts eviction hearings

The suspect in a Powder Springs home invasion that took place July 27 had his probable cause hearing Tuesday before magistrate court Judge Gerald Moore.  Eric Clark Crawford was bound over to Cobb County Superior Court on charges of a terroristic threat with a hazardous substance (gasoline), reckless conduct, first-degree burglary, criminal trespass, and obstructing an officer.

Powder Springs home invasion

According to testimony from Officer Joshua Whetstone of Cobb County Police Department Precinct 2, he received a call at around 8 a.m. on July 27 that a burglary was in progress on Rosetrace Terrace in Powder Springs, and that family members were still in the house.  When police arrived a pickaxe and broken glass from a forced entry were found in the rear of the house.

They heard noises that sounded like a struggle from a crawlspace under a stairwell.

When they were able to get the suspect from under the crawlspace they discovered that he had dowsed the area with gasoline, and told one of the officers he thought he “could light it and take a few of you with me.”

Crawford, who was wearing only a pair of shorts, told officers he was trying to get away from people because he “knew too much.”  Officer Whetstone said the suspect appeared to be under the influence of drugs.

Bond granted

Judge Moore bound Crawford over to Superior Court on all charges, then heard an argument from the suspect’s attorney for bond.

Defense attorney Benjamin Goldberg called the father of the suspect to the stand, who told the court that he had lived in the same area of Powder Springs all his life, and had no fear of his son living with him and the suspect’s mother if a bond were granted.

Assistant District Attorney Marc Cella read a list of past arrests by the suspect and asked the father if he was aware of his son’s criminal history.  The father said he had no recollection of most of them, but did remember incidents in Florida his son was involved in.

Moore granted a $40,000 bond to Clark, under the condition that he be evaluated for mental health and drug addiction.  He also directed the suspect to wear a GPS ankle bracelet and to avoid all contact with the victims.

He said if the suspect ran into the victims in a grocery store, “It’s up to you to turn around and leave.” He said that since the victims live near Clark, there was the opportunity for inadvertent contact and that it was Clark’s responsibility to leave the area.