Marietta man sentenced to 30 years in brutal beating

photo of Cobb Superior Court building from the front with a blue sky with clouds in the backgroundCobb County Superior Court (photo by Larry Felton Johnson)

Luis Xavier Fontanez, 32, of Marietta, was sentenced to 30 years in prison for a brutal beating which left the victim paralyzed and suffering irreversible traumatic brain injury.

According to a press release from Cobb Acting District Attorney John Melvin, Fontanez showed no remorse for the crime. He said his attack on the victim, 60 years old at the time of the beating, was over a pair of boots Fontanez said the victim had stolen.

The beating occurred on Oct. 11, 2017, in the parking lot of a Citgo on South Cobb Drive.

According to the press release from the DA’s office, “The victim tried to walk away, but Fontanez followed and struck the man, causing him to fall backward onto the concrete, where Fontanez stomped repeatedly on the man’s head. Fontanez stopped briefly and walked away before returning to the victim and stomping on his skull several more times. The entire incident was captured on video. Police were called and the victim was rushed to WellStar Kennestone Hospital.”


During his interview with police Fontanez told them “If someone steals from you, what are you going to do to them?”

“Shooting someone is more humane than what this defendant did. Stabbing someone is more humane than what this defendant did. He stomped on this man like a piece of trash. And as a result, the victim lives as a prisoner in his own body, unable to speak, unable to communicate, captive in his own mind,” ADA Stephanie Green said in court. “I don’t understand how a human being is capable of doing this to another human being. The amount of hatred and evil this act took is incomprehensible.”

On Wednesday, Fontanez entered a guilty plea to criminal attempt to commit malice murder, aggravated battery, and aggravated assault.

Fontanez was sentenced by Cobb County Superior Court Judge Robert Leonard II.

He was represented in court by Marietta attorney Grady Moore.